At the close of the Constitutional Convention in 1787, Dr. James McHenry, a Maryland delegate, followed Benjamin Franklin from Independence Hall. He recorded a question asked by a lady, directed at Dr. Franklin.

The lady asked, "Well Doctor, what have we got? A republic or a monarchy?"

"A republic," replied Dr. Franklin, "if you can keep it."

IN DEFENSE OF MINORITIES!

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo isn't celebrated much in Mexico, but in the United States, many Mexicans living abroad choose to celebrate it. The date commemorates the Mexican Army's victory over the French Army at the Battle of Puebla  in 1862.

Today, with Mexicans who are in the US illegally, and who are living in Arizona and have been informed that they've overstayed their welcome, I'm sure it will be celebrated in fever pitch. Think about it. Once they return home, nobody will be celebrating with them.

However, don't let me be a wet blanket. Schools across the Border States will be celebrating a holiday almost none of them understand by hoisting pinadas, singing mariachi songs and wearing colorful Mexican clothing. As a huge fan of Mexican cuisine, I can't deny that spicy tamales, mouth watering enchiladas and the other "Mexican food" we eat in the US is my very favorite.  Though in Mexico you are hard pressed to find any of those dishes served.

On July 4th (American Independence Day) there is precious little celebration in Mexico to reciprocate the parades and festivities here in California, for example. I don't think there will be a 4th of July parade in Tijuana or Mexico City. Why not?




10 comments:

lady di said...

If I choose not to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, am I a racist? I prefer pizza

Krystal said...

My husband loves to celebrate Cinco de Mayo ... with Dos XX beer!

LL said...

I happen to like Mexican Food and any excuse to eat good Mexican Food is a satisfactory excuse. So Cinco de Mayo works for me to that extent.

(Lady Di - I only like two kinds of pizza - hot and cold)

Coffeypot said...

If my history memory serves me right, the Mexs won the battle, but lost the war. It's like the South celebrating the victory at Bull Run.

LL said...

That's right, Coffeypot - a month later Maximillian took the throne in Mexico City and was the absolute ruler of Mexico.

Your analogy is correct.

Joaquin said...

This says it best!
http://howisthatobamavoteworkingoutforyou.blogspot.com/2010/05/hey-its-cinco-de-mayo-viva-obama.html

USA_Admiral said...

Well done sir.

commoncents said...

THANK YOU for posting this! I really like your blog!!
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

ps. Link Exchange???

Silverfiddle said...

I like Mexican food, and I like Mexicans!

Unfortunately, our immigrants don't get assimilated anymore. Instead, the angry left sinks their claws into them and indoctrinates them into the international progressive culture of nursed grievances and passive-aggressive agitprop.

William Blackstone said...

If Mexico is so independent, Why are there people here? Go back home and celebrate diversity and their independence.
http://reignonliberty.blogspot.com/2010/05/stuck-in-middle-with-you.html

There was an error in this gadget

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed