Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)
Dear Leader is having some difficulty. He is on the record countless times talking about how he has partnered with them to "reshape America". I'm not sure how he planned to reshape America with Acorn but the biggovernment.com videos (see #3 below) would suggest that Dear Leader plans to change the landscape beyond current recognition. Is this the CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN?
Official ACORN powerpoint presentation slide
Breaking it down:
1. The US Census Bureau has cut ties with ACORN, saying "We no longer have confidence that our national partnership agreement is being effectively managed through your offices."
2. The US Senate voted 83-7 to block the Department of Housing and Urban Development from funding ACORN. One of the seven people who voted against the block (because some people 'stay bought') is Senator Roland Burris (D-IL):
(note video below)
3. Filmmaker James O'Keefe and Hanna Giles filmed four undercover videos that graphically explained a pervasive pattern of racketeering where ACORN offices nationwide appeared to participate in and aid and abet:
- Loan Fraud
- Child Prostitution
- Human Trafficking (human slavery)
- Extortion and thuggish coersion
4. New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo has opened an investigation into ACORN's criminal activities.
The fact is that ACORN hires people with a certain moral and ethical flexibility that allows them to slip right into these kinds of conversations with the greatest of ease. They had no problem discussing how to avoid legal entanglements for running child prostitution rings, brothels, and other illegal activities out of properties purchased with ACORN's assistance.
5. Brooklyn, NY District Attorney Charles Hynes opened an investigation into the ACORN office in Brooklyn.
6. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA) has directed California Attorney General Jerry Brown to initiate an investigation into ACORN's criminal activities.
7. Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty issued a directive that all State funding be cut off from Acorn.
The LIBERAL RESPONSE:
Robert L. Borosage, a co-director of the liberal Campaign for America's Future expressed outrage at the undercover videos exposing ACORN and said of the tactics, "This is dangerous stuff. I don't think progressives will sit back and let this gain momentum." In a way it's a step up because he didn't refer to the government investigations as "racially motivated".
ACORN initially called the investigation a "smear campaign" an hinted at dark motives -- until the videos kept coming, and coming, and it turned out the pattern of corruption was nationwide. Then ACORN CEO Bertha Lewis announced unspecified reforms.
And a week or so after Fox News scooped the nation, the mainstream media (part of the liberal response) tepidly reported the same thing Fox reported. I mean, the scandal was all on tape, what else could they do. Nothing yet from MSNBC, though. I doubt they'd sully themselves with anything that makes Dear Leader look bad.